The Book of 1 Timothy
The title of the letter comes from the name of the man to whom it is addressed. It is the first of two letters written to Timothy.
II. Author and Setting
The author of the letter is Paul, according to 1 Timothy 1:1-2a:
Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope.
To Timothy my true son in the faith:
Based on 1:3 it is suggested that Paul was writing from Macedonia, while Timothy was in Ephesus; Paul wrote the letter after his first imprisonment in Rome as recorded at the end of the book of Acts. Therefore, it was likely written sometime between AD 62 and 67.
III. An Outline of 1 Timothy
I. Salutation 1:1-2
II. Timothy's task in Ephesus 1:3-11
III. Thanksgiving 1:12-20
IV. Worship and Conduct 2:1-6:21
IV. Question on 1 Timothy
1. When was the first letter to Timothy written?
2. What does Paul say about the place of women in the church in 1 Timothy 2:9-15? How is it to be reconciled with Galatians 3:26-29 and 1 Corinthians 11:5?
3. What are the requirements of an overseer (or bishop, or elder)?
4. What are the requirements of a deacon?
5. What advise does Paul give regarding widows?
6. What advise does Paul give regarding elders?
7. What advise does Paul give regarding slaves?
8. What does Paul have to say regarding money? Comment, please.
Copyright © Quartz Hill School of Theology. All Rights Reserved.