The Book of Leviticus
The English title comes from the Greek translation of the Old Testament (the Septuagint). In Hebrew, the book's title is taken from the first word, in the book vayiqra-- which means "and he called".
Moses is traditionally assumed to be the author of the book of Leviticus. Please see the discussion at the beginning of Genesis for more information.
III. An Outline of Leviticus
I. The Law of Sacrifice 1:1-7:38
II. The Consecration of the Priests 8:1-10:20
III. The Clean and the Unclean 11:1-15:33
IV. The Holiness Code 16:1-26:46
V. Dedications 27:1-3
Questions on Leviticus
1. Understand and be able to discuss the five major sorts of offerings; know when to offer what, and the animals that each requires:
a. burnt offering
b. grain offering
c. fellowship (or peace) offering
d. sin offering e. guilt offering
2. Describe the ordination ceremony of the priests.
3. Why did Nadab and Abihu die?
4. What are the regulations regarding infectious skin diseases? Mildew in houses?
5. Know and understand the following special holidays; give the dates that they are celebrated in both the Jewish and modern calendars:
b. Passover and Feast of Unleavened Bread
d. Feast of Weeks
e. Feast of Trumpets
f. Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur)
g. Feast of Tabernacles (Booths)
6. Discuss the dietary regulations.
7. Discuss purification after childbirth.
8. Discuss the sabbatical year.
9. What was the Year of Jubilee?
10. What are the rules regarding the redemption of dedicated items?
11. Discuss proper and improper sexual relations.
Copyright © Quartz Hill School of Theology. All Rights Reserved.