1. This course is designed to give the student a basic understanding of the Ugaritic Language. NOTE: When the student completes this course he or she will not be an expert in Ugaritic. To acheive that level of ability the student will need to study further the intricacies of syntax. This course merely equips the student with the basics of the language.
2. In order to accomplish this goal the student will be required to read the assignments in the course and to do the required exercises. THE STUDENT MUST HAVE SUCCESFULLY COMPLETED ELEMENTARY HEBREW GRAMMAR IN ORDER TO TAKE THIS COURSE.
3. The Textbooks for this course are:
Stanislav Segert. A Basic Grammar of the Ugaritic Language: With Selected Texts and Glossary University of California Press, 1984
M. Dietrich. The Cuneiform Alphabetic Texts
You order Segert's book online through The Campus Bookstore.
4. In the final lessons of the course the student will be given passages to translate. These translations will compose 50% of the students grade for the course; the other 50% coming from the assignments. One technical note -- Because most students will not have a Ugaritic font on their computer, the texts will be transliterated for the exercises. The only time the actual cuneiform characters will be used is in the first lesson when the alphabet is learned.
5. You may get an Ugaritic Font for Windows from our Software Library.
Each Section Below Must Be Completed:
Copyright © Quartz Hill School of Theology. All Rights Reserved.